Thursday, March 5, 2009

So, no coffee all plant based ... here I go.

Why in the world would someone give up coffee and only eat "plants based foods" for five weeks, no salt no vinegar .... no sugar? Well, I am desperate to make myself feel better.

Why am I blogging? Several years ago I thought blogging was stupid .... invasive .... a fad .... Well, things have changed, I've had some really nutty things happen to me. I want to share my story. I want people to understand what I deal with on a daily basis. If you can relate and learn and find courage from what I go through then I have succeeded. I am opening myself up to advocate for gimpy people (disabled is the PC term, but I like to call myself gimpy). I want people who are struggling to know that I am struggling too, and I keep my chin up and I keep going every day.


Ok, enough of an intro, I have severe rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in my neck shoulders, wrists, knees, and ankles. And, I have probably forgotten a joint or two. I have a slight tear in my left achilles tendon, I have right rotators cuff syndrome in my right shoulder and bursitis in my hips. Ouch!

Normally, I am extemely guarded about my health. I try very hard to blend in, and not "look sick". This attitude has both helped and hurt me. I will explain that in another post.

Yesterday, I couldn't bend my right knee very well and so I could barely walk .... good times! I have been sick for 5 years. I have my good days and my bad days .... good months bad months. Today is pretty good so far, but I want to clean my bathroom and walk my dogs, so I will probably be in a lot of pain after that. It sucks, really. I am having a bad month. I hardly have any stamina and little energy. My house is pretty messy and I think my German Shepherd is getting chubby from lack of exercise.

The last thing I want to do is throw a pity party for myself, but I want to share my struggles. Get things off of my chest. I have oodles of things to tell, but I will take my time. I will ease you into all of the BS I have had to deal with, and all of the beauty that I find around me which keeps me going.

I am thankful for my family and friends, my doctor, my mattress, NCSU and understanding professors. I will be a teacher someday, I may just have to sit down while I am teaching. My animals give me loads of furry love every day, and they make me wake up, get out of bed and walk them in the fresh air even on a "yucky pain day".

So, I am making some lifestyle changes and I am eating quite differently for the next 5 weeks. I will eat veggies, fruits, beans etc .... Wish me luck. I am clearing my body of additives. Has this dietary change been proven to be effective in curing RA? No. But, a girl's gotta try. It can't hurt.

And, just for the record my condition is not permanent. I will get better!


If you want to know how things are going or what it is like to live with RA check out my blog. I am going to post daily.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done! Bless your heart to have to go thru that diet! agh! NO COFFEE?!?!?! The RA has gone to your head!

    hang in there, i'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone off dairy...it's been a little over a month now. I have noticed a huge difference in how I feel. But damn I miss cheese!

    ReplyDelete