Thursday, March 19, 2009

Been Doin Some Stinkin Thinkin

So, I live in the South .... you know the bible belt. I was driving on Highway 401 and I passed a church sign that shouted to the traffic, "You need a bible bath because you've been doin so much stinkin thinkin." Did they run out of G's or were they omitted for dramatic effect? Don't you just love that? What does that mean exactly? If only I had my camera with me.

Apparently, I have been doing a lot of this stinkin thinkin because stories are just pouring out of me about my life with RA. The past couple of days I have joined various online support groups for people who have RA. They are very helpful, but I am struck by something that they do not provide. It's great to commiserate and support one another, and chat about how people just don't understand what RA sufferers go through. One group is great at circulating reputable articles about medical news etc. However, how is all this misunderstanding going to change if all sick people do is complain to each other?

As I write and share, I have realized how much society has placed me in the "sick girl box" It makes me very sad to think about. Because, I am so much more than that. I am sure that there is lots of advocacy going on out there. Seems like I am at a point in my life where I want to join the advocates. Blogging has been a good beginning. I want to go out and do some "advocatin" (The G is omitted for dramatic effect). Wish me luck.

In closing, an excellent song by Lauren Hill,

No comments:

Post a Comment