Tuesday, April 21, 2009

That diet

"So, how did that diet go?"



"I can't even look at black beans."



"No really how did the diet go? Are you cured?"



"No."



I didn't think that I was going to cure myself .... so maybe that's why it didn't work .... oh the anxiety that I have from being chronically ill ..... I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Seriously, the RA is still hanging out obviously, but I would suggest that diet to anyone. Really, I would. Why? "Because Jesus ate locusts for forty days and forty nights, this diet ain't nothin. Come on, WWJD really! Not to compare myself to the son of God or anything .... I'm just sayin."

I got so many "OMG I could never do that" reactions. It got to be a little perplexing. So I came up with all of these funny (well funny to me) come backs for people. It was only five weeks, and the reactions that people had really were quite amusing, it helped keep me going in a way.

Why would I suggest this diet to anyone?


  1. It is a challenge, and it made me feel better. (Fell short of a miracle cure though.) I am not the daughter of God after all .... not enough locusts I guess.


  2. Gave me more energy.


  3. Cleared up my skin.


  4. I lost five pounds.


  5. I remembered how much I like sunflower seeds.


  6. I found new and inventive ways to cook with every hot pepper that you can possibly think of.


  7. I kicked my coffee habit .... now I have one cup a day and that's it! Maybe that's still a little bit of a habit, but it is a vast improvement.


  8. I realized that I have a problem with salt. I LOVE SALT and everything salty. Five weeks of refraining from salt has reset my "salt-o-meter". I am not adding salt to my meals now and I am hardly cooking with any salt. Now, if I eat something that is very salty it tastes nasty to me.


  9. I realized that I can take or leave sugar and all things sugary.


  10. Essentially, I learned a lot about my eating habits and I accomplished something that made me feel better.
As my good friend Dawn who happens to be a North Carolina native told me, "You don't have to add fat back to a meal to make it taste good." I have never eaten fat back, and I really don't even know what it is but Dawn brought up an excellent point. When you give up sugar, salt, starch, preservatives, salt (oh I already mentioned salt), dairy, meat ..... So, what the hell did I eat anyway ..... When you give up all of that your mind begins appreciate simpler foods. After my diet was over, I had a salad with some good seasons all natural dressing drizzled over it. I cannot explain how happy my taste buds were ......That salad was amazing ..... and it didn't even have any fat back in it!

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to control RA mostly through diet and lifestyle choices so it was great to see this post! I have tried some interesting diets! I agree, though, that when all of the addictive qualities of food that we evolved to crave are taken away, it's much easier to appreciate the simple foods - and in the end that brings more pleasure to life. My favorite thing I've used to control pain from my RA - the ChiliPad. It's a mattress pad that lets you cool down (or heat up) your bed, any temperature between 46 and 118 degrees. The best thing about is is it brings the pain threshold below what will wake me up - so I'm able to get more sleep at night, which in turn reduces my pain.

    ReplyDelete